Is it Tea or Juice?
It is neither. It is a Tisane or Herbal Tea.
"Tea" as we know it comes from ONE plant - Camellia Sinensis. It is the traditional tea plant and comes in Black, Green, Oolong and White teas. The difference is how the tea leaves are processed for consumption. Black tea is fully oxidized tea leaves, Green tea is minimally oxidized, Oolong tea is partially oxidized (about 80%) and White tea is not oxidized as it is made from the fresh leaves or bud of the plant.
Any other “tea” is a Tisane or herbal tea. Tisanes or herbal teas are infusions made from any plant other than Camellia Sinensis. They are typically classified by the part of the plant they are made from. So we can have fruit tisanes, leaf tisanes, flower tisanes etc. Below are some examples:
- Bark tisanes: cinnamon, willow bark
- Flower tisanes: roselle hibiscus, rose hips, lavender
- Fruit tisane: blueberry, raspberry
- Leaf tisanes: rooibos, lemongrass, spearmint, nettle leaf
- Root tisanes: ginger, burdock, ashwagandha
- Seed tisanes: anise, fennel, fenugreek
So, BISSAP Rouge is essentially a flower tisane or herbal tea made from the calyces of the Roselle Hibiscus plant. Our recipe is flavored and enriched with ginger, spearmint, lemon and vanilla that would sooth your soul and ignite your taste buds!